Saturday 31 July 2010


Excuse my hair, but today was incredible.


I am an owl enthusiast. I have lots of owl toys, trinkets and Ringwald, my owl tattoo. I love Owls.

We went to a village fete today and there was a dog show (too many cute dogs I almost cried stroking an 8 week old springer pup) a mini petting farm, where I met the most handsome and adorable calf, who we named cow, Pygmy Goats and some boring sheep.

The main highlight for me was getting to see some owls, up close. Amazing. Luckily for me I got to hold TWO Owls, one was a HUGE Eagle owl, who weighed an fair bit and the other was a gorgeous American Barn Owl who was just so beautiful. I dont think I stopped smiling the whole time I was there, and I welled up a few times.

Basically Tony and his wife who run the charity go around the area with their rescued and rehomed owls educating people about the owls and birds of prey and encouraging people to touch and hold the birds and ask questions, raising money to save more birds who are being kept as pets etc. I think I was possibly the nerdiest person they saw all day, but I got a free fridge magnet for being a nerd and I got to have photos with and hold some incredible animals.

http://www.hollowellsteam.com/owls_to_behold.htm

I also got my copy of 'The Cove' today, which is a documentry about the horrific hunt/cull/murder of thousands of dolphins that goes on every year in Taiji, Japan.

I'm still pretty upset from watching it, but I would recommend watching it to anyone, especially if you class yourself as an animal lover. Richard O'Barry is incredible and the whole documentry moved me to tears on several occasions. Its barbaric and I just cant fathom why another living being would do that to a defenceless animal, and have no issues about doing so.

Just an incredible documentry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cove_(film)

No comments: