Saturday 12 June 2010

Today I went to the zinefest, hung out and did some lolz with the best friend (and later Ms Hang) we sat being food punx and swapped tales of gossip, about people we dont even know.

I was looking forward to 2 things this weekend, one lived up to expectations, hanging out with lblf was as usual a hoot, and just a genuine good time.

The other was the zinefest.

I went to my first ever zinefest last year, at the same venue, this year, it was bare.
It felt so empty and there wasnt a good atmosphere. I dont know whether, as I discussed with a friend it was because the 2 zine fairs were held within a fortnight of each other, or maybe because the travel was horrific.

Anyway, my main gripe was with one particular stall/distro and her attitude. I wont name names, but I think if you are a distro/zinester you need to be approachable, this 'community' we are part of is about intergration, and building new relationships and growing, we wont get anywhere if we start getting elitest about it.

If I had gone to the zinefest this year, as my first one (rather than last year), I dont think I would have the passion for zines/writing and DIY culture as I do now, and thats sad, because I cant imagine my life without it in it.

This is a ramble.

I apologise.

x

3 comments:

Chenilla-O said...

ooooh, zine-related gossip who was it. I was at the zine fest with Ladyfest Ten and Storm in a Tea Cup hope it wasn't me x.x.x.

Jessica said...

Were you wearing a polkadot dress!!??? With a nice heart necklace?? If that was you, you were really nice to me. It was the girl from marching stars, she's a moron!!

X

Holly said...

It's such a shame people can be so damn rude!

You should upload those photos on Facebook that we took in Brick Lane. x